Did you know that even for the best New Year resolutions, 88% of them end in failure? This stat is based on a 2007 study of over 3,000 people by Richard Wiseman, a British psychologist. It’s unfortunate to think that the odds are against you.
Making up a resolution is no trivial matter. For it to succeed, you’ll need a plan and the willpower to follow through. Don’t be afraid to plan it out and do what it takes to conquer your health-related goals.
Join us as we take a look at some of the best New Year resolutions for your health!
3 Best New Year's Resolutions for Your Fitness
Take a look at some of the best resolutions that you can make for your fitness:
- Find Something Fun: Working out shouldn’t feel like work! Perhaps a morning stroll or jog with a friend in the neighborhood, or a fun sports league is your kind of thing. For others, a recumbent bike during a favorite TV show is a great idea. Create a fun way to get moving!
- Set Goals: Set and track goals to meet something that you want to accomplish in the New Year. Aim for a half marathon or some other tangible thing that you can strive towards – and plan accordingly with smaller goals along the way. It makes everything much easier!
- Pick Up Some Weights: Regardless of your fitness goals, strength training can be an asset to your health, as it promotes a better metabolism and strong bones. Even just a little bit of strength training can do it – and it can be quite fun (try a medicine ball for something different).
3 Best New Year's Resolutions for Your Diet
Here are a few of the best diet-based resolutions:
- Watch Your Portions: Restaurants often tout their large portion sizes. On the other side, it’s easy to eat more than 10 crackers – which is listed right on the back of the box! Control your portions when eating at home and make sure you get that doggie bag when eating out. And when you eat out, research health facts to make sure it’s OK for your diet.
- Find Go-To Healthy Foods: Build a healthy food repertoire. Maybe you should start your morning with some orange juice or pomegranates, which contain antioxidants. You can do the same for snacks that are high in fiber, and so on down the line. Fill in the occasional gaps with indulgences – don’t let them set the tone for your diet.
- Use Fresh Ingredients: Spend some more time in the kitchen. There is no shortage of great recipes for home for the whole family, including dishes that are perfect to freeze for your lunches to take to work. This can make a big difference in how healthy you eat. Letting the kids help with preparing foods will encourage them to try new things!
The Best New Year's Resolution for Your Health!
Simply take a look at the common question: Why do we need sleep? From chronic disease to brain functioning to your health itself – such as losing weight – sleep plays a vital role in every aspect of your health.
It is thus quite simple that to improve your health for the New Year, you will need to improve (or maintain) your sleep. It really is that important!
You might be sleeping on faulty (aka “old”) equipment, and now is a great time to check out our mattresses on sale. Or it might be a problem of less-than-optimal sleep habits, such as electronics just before bed or fleeting bed-and-wakeup times. Whatever the case may be, it’s time to invest in your sleep to enjoy the benefits that it can have on your diet, fitness, mood, and overall health!
Have a great New Year and stay up-to-date with our sleep blog!