As a young adults embarking on the new and exciting world of attending college, students sometimes forget it is time to start slowly but surely preparing for the real world. A part of the real or “adult” world includes what many deem a necessary evil…credit.
From first-hand experience, I can tell you that the term “credit” was a scary concept to grasp at the age of 19. How do I even begin building credit? Would I acquire debt? How easy would it be to abuse a credit card? While all of these questions only add to the stress and pressures of starting your college career, there is some good news! Building credit early is essential to having a successful credit journey, but a credit card isn’t the only option!
What You Should Know:
- According to simpletuition.com about 40 percent of college students reported charging items knowing that they could not afford to pay for them.
- Approximately 60 percent of college students stated they were surprised about the amount of their credit card debt.
- Approximately 50 percent of college-age cardholders have four or more credit cards.
- Credit reports are essentially a financial report card, and it’s important to be aware of your marks and make sure they are correct.
- Sleep Outfitters offers financing options to help you build your credit by making monthly payments on the perfect mattress
For more statistics on college students and recent graduates, click here.
The Importance of Credit:
Maintaining good credit can provide you with more borrowing options and more favorable interest rates. In the future, when you’re preparing to take out a loan for your first home or even a new car, your credit history will be the first thing lenders want to see. A good credit history now will highlight your responsibility and make you a better candidate for a loan down the road.
So, what's the first step?
Young adults have enough to worry about as it is and learning the basics of credit can add to the stress and sleepless night you’re already experiencing. Let Sleep Outfitters be your first step into the world of credit. Come into one of our locations near you to view our collection of mattresses and learn about financing options available to you to kick-start a positive credit history.